Tuesday, July 21, 2026 RSS  ·  Calendar
croton.news
Croton’s #1 source for AI-generated hyperlocal news
Croton-on-Hudson, New York
Source-linkedCorrections welcomed

History of Westchester County, New York, Vol. II

Scharf, J. Thomas, ed. History of Westchester County, New York, including Morrisania, Kings Bridge, and West Farms, which have been annexed to New York City, Vol. II. Philadelphia: L.E. Preston & Co., 1886. Passage 1928 of 2132 290 words

Carlisle had displeased one political faction and it was not proposed to "feed him up" with county money. This bank liquidated after about two or three years.

When the Standard Oil was expecting to bring in an oil well near Harrisburg the Mc- Nish-Ostenburg interests established a bank there to be ready for the big rush. The oil failing to materialize this bank also liquidated a year or more ago. The original Banner County Bank is the only existing financial institution in the county. Several of the substantial names of the county appear connected with this bank.

Banner county press activity was confined to the first few years. Then it settled down to the Banner Comity News which has flourished as monarch of the field for over a quarter of a century.

Almost simultaneously several papers appeared : the Ccntropolis World, the Frccport Gazette, and the Ashford Advocate. Charles H. Randall who has since served the Los Angeles district of California for two terms in congress, was the founder of the World. Johnny Wilson established the Gazette, and while the name of J. F. Gay appeared at the head of the Ashford Advocate, it was known

that W. W. White, Chas. E. Dooley and Jake Schooley were behind it.

Randall sought to have a county-seat town of his own. The "Harrisburg" postoffice was formerly "Centropolis." Randall was editor of the World, postmaster, and the Schooley-Fisher combination for Harrisburg had failed to meet his expectations. One morning "Harrisburg" woke up to find that a plat of "Centropolis" was to be filed about a half mile north of where Schooley had planned the town. The Randall building, postoffice and newspaper had been moved to the new site, at the present Wyatt corner.

Passages from this source (2132)

Experimental project: croton.news uses AI to generate articles from public records. Content may contain errors. Please report any inaccuracies and check our corrections log.