Tuesday, July 21, 2026 RSS  ·  Calendar
croton.news
Croton’s #1 source for AI-generated hyperlocal news
Croton-on-Hudson, New York
Source-linkedCorrections welcomed

Croton on Hudson Golden Jubilee, 1898-1948 (Brief Historical Sketch)

Hogue, O. Wendell, and Veronica Gilbert Agne. “A Brief Historical Sketch of Croton-on-Hudson.” In Croton on Hudson Golden Jubilee, 1898-1948, September Nineteenth to Twenty-Sixth. Croton-on-Hudson, NY: Croton Golden Jubilee Committee, 1948. Seq 14 only — additional pages not yet extracted from HathiTrust htid nyp.33433062496793. Passage 20 of 22 306 words

The building was restored to its original likeness by the Trustees of Bethel Cemetery and re - dedicated June 22 , 1936 . St. Augustine's Episcopal Church As early as 1851 there was an Episcopal Mission in Croton . In 1853 the Rev. Augustus V. Clarkson became Minister in charge of a congregation which held services in the Public School - now Noah Clinton residence . the In January 1855 a plot of ground was donated by Philip Van Wyck of Sing Sing for the purpose of building a church - at which time St. Augustine's was incorporated under the title of " Rector , Wardens and Vestrymen of the Church of St. Augustine " . The Rev. A. V.

Clarkson , who became the first Rec- tor , served the church for 51 years and is still remembered by many of the older residents with deep af- fection . The cornerstone was laid in 1857 , with a copy of the Holy Bible and the Book of Common Prayer de- posited in the cavity . In 1882 two Churches adjoining buildings - used as a Sun- day School and class room respec- tively - were added to the original structure . At this time the church was renovated and on May 26 , 1882 , it was consecrated by Bishop Sey- mour of Springfield , Ill . The Rev. Gerardus Beekman is the Rector today . Holy Name of Mary Church The first Croton parish of the Holy Name of Mary was establish- ed in 1874 with Ossining Clergy in attendance .

Mass was celebrated once a month in the White resi- dence on Mt. Airy Road and later in the Trainor building on Riverside Avenue . on Finally a church was built Church Street with the Rev. Patrick McGovern the first resident Pastor .

Passages from this source (22)

Experimental project: croton.news uses AI to generate articles from public records. Content may contain errors. Please report any inaccuracies and check our corrections log.