We had previously passed Emery's lane which led down for about three quarters of a mile (between Fordham depot and West Farms) to Emery's farm house, and which lane was then used as a public road towards Redoubt No. 8. We followed the Ford- -ham road leading to Delancey's Mills which at that time crossed the ground where the Boston Post road now is, at right angles, and then ran directly down to the Bronx, passing the spot where the old yellow tavern now stands
- Hufeland Index Page 1028 -
After crossing the river, the old road passed the bridge which stood where the present stone bridge stands, and running directly along the banks of the Bronx passed the site of the old Block House some distance to the right or west, which before its destruction stood upon a ledge of rocks in front of Mapes's Temperance house or store. (?) These rocks at that time covered all the grounds where the houses and streets now are west of the Bronx. The Block House was a little south of the road which leads across the Stone Bridge. In the lower part of West Farm's Village the old road came into and was identical with the road now used. We continued our march on the old road in the following order, scarcely moving off a walk: - 1st The guides with a small detachment of light horsemen, among whom were some of the generals' aids; 2nd The Generals and their suites and attendants; 3rd Then at