Scharf, J. Thomas, ed. History of Westchester County, New York, including Morrisania, Kings Bridge, and West Farms, which have been annexed to New York City, Vol. II. Philadelphia: L.E. Preston & Co., 1886.
2132 passages
606,558 words
Page 7 of 15
In the present Deuel county, since Garden county was cut from the territory, there are thirty districts, forty-five teachers and a thousand and seventeen pupils, with one parochial school at Big Springs, conducted by the German Lutheran church. There are no consolidated schools except in the northwestern corner, a Garden county unit. There are eleven grades at Big Springs …
Like the rest of the history of Deuel county, the earliest religious activities of the county were in Cheyenne county, of which it was a part for many years. The first meetings were of necessity held in private houses as there were no church buildings in the early days and when a visiting missionary, elder or priest was known to lie coming the people would gather in some sod …
Following him came Methodist Episcopal Church, Chaitki.i. Dr. W. H. Babcock, who ministered to the sick in body and in spirit as well, for when not engaged in the duties of his medical profession, he preached good sermons wherever and whenever he found time and a few people gathered to listen. After the frame school house was built in Chappell, services were held there which …
He has taken an active part in increasing the membership of both the church and Sunday School ; is a man who works for the interest of church and community, and with the other auxiliaries of the congregation the Methodist church is taking a place of importance in the affairs of Chappell. The Methodist church was also the pioneer religious organization at Big Springs, for Elder …
Today, however, the Catholics are second strongest in the county, in membership and activities, although until 1915, there was no church building. The meetings up to the time the church was built were held whenever a visiting priest came. However, at the present time the Catholics have a fine commodious church with Father Keller as resident priest. This church serves the town …
pastor. This church is sometimes referred to as the "Holy Rollers," but by its pastor is called "The Assembly of God Church." A membership organization of the Christian church was effected at Chappell in 1920, but no minister has yet been assigned. A minister comes from Sidney or some other town occasionally, also visiting ministers who held services for the people of this …
Six miles northeast of Chappell, the Mennonites have a church, as that part of the tableland was largely settled by that denomination. Fourteen miles northeast of Chappell there is a Swedish settlement and a Swedish church has been organized and church building erected to serve that corner of the county. In the settlement about the old Day postoffice, there was a Methodist …
In Big Springs in the early days, considerable liquor was sold, but without license, and bootlegging to a limited degree is practiced in Chappell and Big Springs. When the territory now included in Garden county, was a part of Deuel county, a few saloons were licensed in the North Platte river country, but for only a few years. Recently a car was seized and sold near Chappell …
He became the moving spirit in the establishment of the newspaper, and the Chappell Rustler came into existence. It was printed on a job press and published without regard to regular sequence for a time. Mr. Brashears was an old soldier, and as has been recounted, though a layman, he preached in Chappell and the country for some years. He was a man of excellent character and …
It is possible that the Rustler was its antecedent, and there had been fourteen numbers of that paper previously issued. The fight over the location of the county seat waxed warm during the first part of 1889, the Register fighting valiantly for Chappell, and the Journal, appearing at Big Springs, published by Mr. O'Day, fighting for Big Springs. The Register accused Mr. O'Day …
I'M Searles at this time had begun to bring land seekers from Ogallala to the Chappell locality to buy railroad land. It was geni rally -"Id at about seven dollars an acre, one tenth of the purchase price being in cash. Searles, who later became state auditor of Nebraska, inspired both Morgan and Yensen in the future of Chappell and the surrounding country. Yensen's primary …
Harvey Talbott was born in Clay county thirty years ago and after brief schooling in the high school there, began to work as a compositor there at the age of fourteen, on the Clay County Patriot. He was married to Miss Emiline A. "Gillette, March 17, 1914. Dyer Gillette, Mrs. Talbott's father, left Oberlin College to enlist in the army during the Civil War and afterwards …
O'Day gave up his paper there and the Journal ceased to exist, there was not much for a number of years to encourage a new man to take up such an enterprise. However, the Progress has come into existence and being during the last part of 1920. It was first printed in Denver, and the new plant at Big Springs is not yet fully installed in January, 1921. but there is the promise …
"Jim" Robson, as he was familiarly known, came from Illinois, where his brothers Jack and Dick were well known about the Rio country as breeders of fine cattle and heavy feeders of hogs and cattle, as well as men of the happiest and most cheerful dispositions. In 1890 the Commercial Bank had a capital of $20,000. J. L. Robson was president ; Frank McAuliff, vice-president …
Hamilton, later advancing to more important positions, and for many years now has been the guiding spirit. The capital of the First National Bank is $25,000, with a surplus of $45.- 000. Its officers are: J. R. Wertz, president, T. M. Johnson, vice-president; H. I. Babcock, cashier ; H. D. Betts and F. A. Burling, assistant cashiers. Frozen loans and low prices for wheat …
The present officials of the State Bank are : H. C. Peterson, president; M. P. Jensen, and C. M. Empson, vice-presidents ; and E. C. Peterson, cashier. The Peoples Bank, with a capital of $15,000, was organized in 1917, with L. P. Sorenson, president, and J. W. Knox, cashier. In 1919, the Deuel County Bank was also established, with E. C. Wolf as president ; H. R. Isenberger …
Wolf, the president of the Deuel County Bank, came to Chapped as a section boss in the late seventies, and Ed and his brother Frank, as told in an earlier part of this history, received their early educational instruction at the school of John O'Neil, in a box car which was used for the station at the railroad in Chappell. Later the Wolfs developed a ranch northwest of …
H. Klendt, assistant cashier. It has a capital of $20,000, and surplus of $3,000. The American State Bank of Big Springs was organized in 1917, with $15,000 capital and $3800 surplus. It is officered by John Jensen, president; ( )tto F. Riss, vice-president; and Sylvia Jensen, cashier. This closes the story of the banks of Deuel county. They have taken an important part in the …
H. Sigler soon after this hung out his sign as a general practicing attorney, and S. P. DeLatour and E. D. Hamilton opened offices for the practice of their profession in the early nineties. Following them came next in order Jacob Keifer and George McAllister, who was afterwards state representative several times, and county attorney a number of years. He became a leader in …
Busse, is county judge; Isaac Woolf, is special acting county judge in a number of cases wherein Judge Busse has been an attorney : L. O. Pfeiffer is county attorney, a position he has held for fourteen years and still has another term ahead of him, which shows in what esteem he is held by the people of Deuel county. Isaac Woolf has served Deuel county as judge for …
The general good health prevailing in the high plains region of Nebraska, exists in Deuel county, which limits the activities and necessities of numerous medical men and a medical clinic, as are to be found in older communities. The professional men in the county are of exceptionally high standing as physicians and dentists, and are qualified to give the people the best of …
Babcock, Stephen Strong, August G. Newman, Abial C. Copeland, Jacob Keifer, George H. Ahrends, Ellsworth D. Hamilton, Edmond Herrington, Reuben Lisco, Martin Nicholson, John Robinson, Henry Weigand. John M. White was on the petition as was W. F. Gumaer, but failed to get their demits in time for the charter. E. F. Clayton carried the dispensation report to the Grand Lodge at …
Peterson, Andrew Peterson, Eugene DeLatour, Harvey I. Babcock, William E. Roudebush, John O'Neil, Minnie Zimmerman, Mrs. Christy Manuel, James Manuel, August G. Newman, John R. Wertz, William G. Melton, August Sudman, Mrs. August Sudman, Miss Lucy Johnson, Fred Sudman, Miss Minnie Sudman, facob Roudebush, Miss Maude Sudman, Frank C. LeSelle, Harriet B. LaSelle, Airs. Helen …
The charter members and first officers of the organization were : W. P. Miles, Noble Grand ; T. P. Morgan, Vice Grand ; John Hinshaw, Recording Secretary ; George P. Smith, Financial Secretary; and Martin Michelson, Treasurer; H. W. Chowins, H. H. Chowins, W. V. Rielly, John N. White, and O. B. Shobert. This order now has a hundred and two members and the officers in 1921 …
There were fifty-seven members in this organization while the present officers were: Alta Nosland, Noble Grand ; Hazel Peterson, Vice Grand ; Retta Brown, Secretary ; J. C. Gyger, Treasurer ; and Lydia Crawford, Chaplain. Royal Neighbors, No. 6950, was instituted at Chappell April 6, 1911, with the following members: Nettie Bailey, Retta F. Brown, Dollie M. Cave, John E. Cave …
Modern Woodmen of America, Red Oak Camp No. 2518, was instituted at Chappell October 11. 1894. with the following charter members : Allen Chamberlain, William E. Coumbe, Charles W. Ferguson, Ed Herrington, Tames W. Head, Tr., John Howitt, William R. Miller, George W. Moore, F. 1'. Morgan, James F. McLaughlin, Harry C. Mc- New, August G. Newman, Gustav Newman, Julius W. Newman …
McPheeters, Warder; Truman E. Richardson, Sentry ; George L. Herrick, M. A. N. ; Fred H. Gibson, M. H. N. ; Joseph E. Barton, A. H. N. ; Lester E. Vandiver, Physician ; Clara M. Cave, Eva A. Herrick and Leota Jacobson. This fraternity has not been very active though its membership has increased some. Clyde McConaughey has gone to the home office at Lincoln, Nebraska, and no …
Brown, years ago sheriff of Mercer county, Illinois, inducted the following officers into service: Commander, J. C. Johnson; Senior Vice, Jake Roudebush ; Junior Vice, August Guenin; Adjutant, A. J. Withers; Quartermaster, J. H. Brown; Surgeon, J. W. Conyers; Chaplain, R. V. Beach; Officer of the Day, W. Saunders ; Officer of the Guard, J. W. Statler; and Patriotic Instructor …
In that instance the reason was ample, for it was at the time when the local resources were driven the limit in financing the wheat growers of the county. The first important duty of the United States and the farmers was to produce wheat and they had to have money to do so. The second drive fell thirty thousand dollars under the quota, but the third Liberty Loan went over by …
John Cave were nominated a Committee to solicit members. Red Cross Tag Day netted four hundred and ninety-four dollars and some cents, which with previous collections amounted to seven hundred and twenty-five dollars. The executives and committee met at the home of Mrs. H. C. Heming to plan their additional work on June 30. There were by that time a hundred and fifty active …
A. also became active and the drive of November, 1917, went fifty per cent over the quota for Deuel county, which was alloted fifteen hundred dollars and subscribed two thousand, two hundred and ninety seven dollars. Among the "four minute men," speakers for the Liberty Bond drives and other war movements were Mr. and Mrs. H. R. Busse, Mr. and Mrs. H. D. Betts, Mrs. Retta …
McPheeters, Arthur Rfeibe, A. W. Robbins. J. R. Hill, Fred Sudman and J. M. Miller, corporals. In the main corrider of the court house hangs the service flag of Deuel county. Of the one hundred and twenty-three names thereon nine shine with golden stars, and those who gave their lives for democracy are : Hilmer E. Jeppson, Clinton McAuliff, Frank Deutscher, Glen Harmon, Claude …
Johnson, Frank Gray, Vancil Stalancker, Walter W. Kallsen. Sam H. DePriest, Frank Best, Glen Harmon, R. D. Updike, Roy Fredrick, Henry Brestel Clifford Shattuck. Mark Gyger, Laurence E. Miller. Herman A. Andre, Lee Stutzman. Earl Nieier, Wallace Armstrong, Joseph R. Beckman, Joe Tarred, Neil Diehl, George McCleary, Fred D.'Stoki, Wm, E. Zehr, Leonard Hodgman, Claude Remington …
In Big Springs the boys who served in the army and navy during the war have an active branch of the American Legion and have recently purchased a building, formerly a church, but later used for mercantile purposes, for the use of the Legion club rooms. This was bought of R. V. Taylor of Scottsbluff and will be converted into suitable rooms for club activities and meeting …
Taking into consideration the soil of western Nebraska with the climate a fine combination is had. The soil of the broad prairies and some of the tablelands is a dark loam with sufficient sand to make it work easily. This is underlaid with lighter loam under which is a clay subsoil. There is no alkali or gumbo of any considerable area, in Deuel county. The land absorbs the …
Wheat has a firm hold on the county since the days when settlers first came here to farm. Both the fall and spring varieties do well in Deuel county. Wheat has practically become the greatest one crop, though others have been introduced with irrigation in the districts where water can be had that pay well, but wheat has the greatest acreage and brings in the greatest returns …
The cattle and live stock business while not large as in the days of the open range is still of great importance in Deuel county. The farmers are working into high grade stock, which they raise on the farms and ship to the markets. Alfalfa is a profitable crop in this part of the state ; it produces a large yield per acre, more than double that of clover and has a high feeding …
Reasoning that it is bankruptcy to sell now, they are sticking for higher prices, feeling that they cannot lose by delay. The wealth of Deuel county must be attributed to the thrift and energy of her citizens for it has been the product of the years. Soil has yielded rich rewards to the tiller, but the process has been slow. However, farms have developed, homes been …
fields that the old time implements began to work ; planters, drills, listers, seeders, harvesters or binders, double rowed cultivators, riding harrows, six foot mowers, rakes, sweeps, stackers, threshers, and every other implement that has a name or place in modern husbandry, are now in use in Deuel county fields on Deuel county farms. Today the telephone places the farmer in …
The spirit that has presided over her destines has been that of the pioneer; the creative, formative forces have been the same as those which won the west from the wilderness and within the last two decades the county has been pioneering in the establishment of its irrigation and last phase of development. GARDEN COUNTY EARLY HISTORY This locality was a favorite hunting ground …
This possible way of approach, however, comprises not more than one tenth of the circumference of the hill. At all other places, no man or animal can ascend or descend. Any time the Indians could scare a few buffalo onto this hill, they could prevent them from taking the back track and there was no place for them to go except to try a jump and light upon the rocks fifty to one …
The way becomes tortuous, and rocky, but without any particularly steep ascent in any place, we arrive on the level tableland nearly three hundred feet above the river bottom. The canyon is said to have been a dangerous place to pass through in early times because of hostile Indians. The first settlers found several graves at the lower end of the hollow, upon one of which was …
Farther, farther west, was the cry. Not more than fifty years ago, the cattlemen began ranging stock in the valley here. First among them were the Adams Reddington Company south of the river and the Knowles Baldwin Company and Ogalalla Land and Cattle Company north of the river. One of the first permanent habitations in the county was a camp built near the mouth of Blue Creek …
The big herds of cattle kept the grass eaten off and the sand trampled up ; so that the soil looked to be too sandy for any use. Furthermore, the homeseeker would often be told that the place of his choice had already been filed upon or patented, when, in reality, it was open for homestead entry. Then, too, the government corners were few and far between ; so that determining …
Hooper and others, and the Oshkosh settlement was started by John Robinson and H. G. Gumaer, Rueben Lisco had located on Rush Creek and S. P. Delatour on Blue Creek. So, today, Mr. Delatour and Mr. Lisco are about the oldest of the "old timers." Both of them are still in the ranching business and both are successful in the banking business. Mr. Delatour located and still lives …
After settlements were made on the north side of the river and teaming had to be done via Chappell, the Geo. W. Hulse place was the half-way house and feeding station. William Keizer established the Kowanda postoffice in 1889, bringing the mail up from Julesburg by stage. The postoffice is still being used, the mail coming over from Chappell now. Mrs. Henry G. Smith is the …
He built a cart, nailing two thicknesses of boards together crosswise and trimming them into shape for wheels. The tire was a curved ash root nailed on this. The hub was an ash stump and the shafts were ash poles ; all topped off with a bed large enough to carry half a wagon load. With his horse "Old Jim*' and this cart he gathered bones and hauled them to Big Springs to pay …
There is a large cemetery there now, and here was placed and dedicated, one of the Oregon Trail monuments. Rock at Ash Hollow, near Spring The Killing of the Last Two Buffalo In 1886, a band of Sioux Indians came down from the Reservation in South Dakota. They reached the Blue and startled the settlers somewhat ; but it proved to be merely a hunting expedition, finding so …
These were some of the sturdy ones who outlived the troubles of the dry years, hauling water and supplies for miles. They would sometimes sit in the dark in the evening for they were out of oil. These people were often twenty-five miles from a postoffice, and forty miles from a doctor, but as Mrs. L. M. Myers expressed it, the outdoor life made people much more healthy. They …
This same lady when a girl was often out hunting for Indian beads, arrow heads, etc. One day she came to an old hollow stump, upon investigation it was found to contain many human bones and a button. It had evidently served as a grave for a child. It was beside the Old Mormon Trail and some Mormon emigrants had spent a winter here in years gone by. There was also a grave …
The hardships of these years tested the endurance of these brave people to the limit and only the strongest HISTORY OF WESTERN NEBRASKA ?49 ones remained. It was during those dry years that A. D. Remington, who had located at Day, on the south table in 1887, did so much for the preservation of the settlers. He had started a store, postoffice, dairy and creamery. At the crisis …
Marsh, living near the river was a carpenter so went where he could work at his trade. Others, like Mr. I. H. Kimbel and Kirk McCall living near Oshkosh and George Gilliard near Lewellen, made money by hunting. They would come home with a wagon load of geese, ducks, etc. They would dress, pack in barrels and ship them to Denver or Omaha making enough to buy groceries for …
Over in the canyons just south of Oshkosh is Wild Horse Corral, a natural corral formed by steep rocks, in which wild horses were trapped and caught. There were fewer birds then, than now, many' felt that the birds were real friends by cheering up some lonely settlers with their bright happy songs. To illustrate some of the inconveniences of early settlers, one lady near Lisco …
to sleep About ten o'clock they were awakened by the bright' light from the fire which had come quite close to them. They dressed hurriedly, took sacks and water to beat it away from the house and corral. Mrs. Jones' brother, Lee Henderson, had gathered a large pile of wood for her winter's supply. The fire got into that and burned it up, almost getting to the house. The two …
abundance in the canyons and among the rocks, while in the sandhills are found the sand cherries. There were very few settlers in the sandhills then, few and far between. In the early days', a family wished to get up to a northern settlement so struck out across the county through the sandhills. They got lost and wandered around for some days. They ate up all the provisions …
These materials could usually be found handy and in abundance, and when properly constructed such a house is nearly as good as a brick house. About 1906, the fashion changed and the frame house or concrete house became popular. It was about that time that Archie Wynes and Herman Bushnell hauled cement from Julesburg and made a large stone and cement block opera house in …
He also had some experience in crossing the ice. He started across with a load of hogs for market. He tried twice and finally had to unload them on the ice and drive them home. The third time he took them down to Oshkosh and crossed on the bridge. Jesse Lee Colyer said many a time they had tied a rope to a board and dragged that over the ice in order to have it to cross the …
On one occasion he went to Mr. Jackett's home and after a bitter quarrel, Mr. Jackett grabbed a revolver and ordered him off the place. Helms started to leave but unknown to Jackett he had left his shotgun leaning against the doorjam as he came in. Just as he stepped out he grabbed the shotgun and noticing that Jackett was off his guard, turned and shot his hand off and the …
Plummer came back unsuccessful ; so Mr. Remington brought suit in replevin. Sheriff Lisco went to serve the writ ; but Mr. Wilson and his sons and sonin-law resisted so stoutly that the sheriff went back to Chapped and procured a warrant for their arrest. On his second trip accompanied by Bill Plummer and a boy from Chicago he pulled into a hunting camp on Island Lake just as …
Wilson felled the Chicago boy with a huge beef bone and the dog having got out a little to one side Mr. Kirribel shot and killed it, but Mrs. Wilson's anger still raged, thinking that the poor dog had been shot by the boy. After the sheriff and constable had gone with their prisoners, the hunter deputies stayed and visited until the exasperated Mrs. Wilson got in a good humor …
Eugene Delatour, county clerk, at once executed the certificate that the county was divided and that the part north of township fifteen to be henceforth known as Garden county. The first county officers were : Robt. A. Day, Clerk ; Charles Davis, Treasurer; Walter Clark, Sheriff; T. C. McKee, Superintendent of Schools ; Lee Minner, Attorney ; John Robinson, Surveyor; J. C …
The measure failed to carry and the. county is still renting the old cramped, unsuitable building for a court house. The county officers at this time. March, 1920. are: G. E. Melvin Clerk ; Ed. S. Wood, Treasurer ; A. W. Gumaer, Judge; R. H. Smith, Sheriff; H. J. Curtis, Attorney; H. A. Mark, Surveyor; Esther M. Johnson. Superintendent; D. F. Fickes, Assessor; Wm. L. Law, J …
H. H. Hough. 1910-1916; Dr. Geo. H. Morris, 1916-1918; H. I. Curtis, 1918, still in office. Judge: A. W. Gumaer. 1910. still in office. Commissioners: Third district, M. P. Clary, 1910-1916; Roscoe Vance. 1916-1918; W. C. Clark, 1918-1920: W. R. W. Taylor, 1920. appointed to fill vacancy. Second district. D. F. Fickes. 1910-1911; I. C. Roudebush, 1911- 1916; W. L. haw. 1916 …
There has always been a great scramble for hay land especially in the northern part of the county, where the valuable hay lands lie in small valleys surrounded by rough pasture lands. Anyone resorting to litigation to determine a boundary line was at once confronted with the necessity of spending a large sum on surveyor's fees ; it being necessary in many instances to survey …
Devasher was found to be insane and committed and sent to the State Hospital for the insane. Within three weeks he was discharged and was back home continuing the fight for what he believed to be his legal rights. After several rounds in court and out, Mr. Devasher discovered that he had made a big mistake in measuring off his claim and that it neither included hay land, the …
Dymond and party were not armed and did not resist. Mr. Yeast and his party were arrested and tried at the fall term of court on a charge of unlawful assembly. It being practically impossible to prove that they had planned and conspired together to commit the act ; they were all acquitted and discharged. They did not attempt to deny that they destroyed the machinery and cut up …
The territory now organized as Garden county was in early times the northeastern part of Cheyenne county and, from the year 1888 until the year 1910, it was the northern part of Deuel county. The eastern boundary of Cheyenne county was defined by the legislature to be the 25th degree of longitude west from Washington. This 25th degree was hard to find, but soon after the …
This range line was generally recognized by county and state officers and citizens as being the eastern boundary of Deuel, despite the fact that as there had been no vote of the people on the question, the statute of 1895 was unconstitutional and void. About a year after the time of the organization of Garden county in 1910, McPherson county then having charge of Arthur county …
The contention of Arthur county was, that the original eastern boundary of Cheyenne county, to-wit, the 25th degree of longitude, must hold for Cheyenne county's successors, Deuel and Garden'counties ; that the Statute of 1895 was unconstitutional and void and therefore the exercise of control over the disputed strip by Garden county was illegal. < >n the other hand, Garden …
Garden county further alleged that all along, prior to, and ever since the legislative act of 1895, Deuel county, within its inherent and statutory power, exercised jurisdiction and authority in all public matters over said strip of territory as a part of Deuel county, and continued so to do until Garden county was organized ; that since its organization, Garden county has …
At the 1916 fall term of the district court of Garden county, Nebraska, Judge Hobart held that the range line between ranges 40 and 41 is the boundary between Arthur and Garden counties and dismissed Arthur county's petition. Arthur county appealed the case to the supreme court of the state. Which court affirmed the decision of Judge Hobart and in the opinion filed November …
Upon hearing thereon the demurer was overruled and William Mitchell of Alliance was appointed as referee to take the evidence and report findings of fact and conclusions of law to the court. After taking the evidence at Hyannis and Oshkosh and cogitating thereon for six months, the referee found that the 25th degree of longitude was and is the boundary line between Grant and …
Thus we remain, fifty-four miles long, north and south, twenty-eight miles wide in the southern part, thirty-three miles wide in the middle part, and thirty-one miles wide in the northern part, and having a total area of one million and fifty-six thousand acres. And no more boundary fights for ours; no, not one. AGRICULTURAL AND LIVE STOCK INDUSTRIES The southern part of …
The Campbell system of farming is not popular here, although spring grain is sometimes cut down to about half a normal crop because of drouth. A good crop can be raised every year by rotating winter wheat and other crops. The last failure was in the year 1895. The average crop of winter wheat is twentytwo luishels per acre, but a yield of thirty-five bushels per acre is nut …
Now, however, the "big noise" of the sugar beet is heard in the land and the old order is changing. In 1918, automatic beet dumps were constructed at Oshkosh and Perm and numerous tracts of from twenty to two hundred acres were planted, to beets. The yield was so satisfactory that in the year 1919 the acreage was greatly increased, and the sugar beet industry is with us to …
No doubt most of the whole valley of the North Platte is good, but if there is any place more worthy to be called the garden spot of the great plains, than Garden county's irrigated belt, we know not the name of that place. "Where once the redskin to the death. Fought pioneer and scout, The Swede with non alcoholic breath. Sets rows of cabbage out." However our champion …
The largest of these is called the "west table" which lies north of Lisco. This table has just the right soil for corn and potatoes, and in early times, A. B. Allen made it famous for the production of navy beans. Here lies the winter wheat ranch of G. W. Berge; and he and his neighbors will tell you that their lands will produce good crops of grain. Dry land, well, yes, but …
make it apparent that within a short time the range steer will have some tame hay to vary the monotony of his diet, and the flavor of his wonderful carcass. Another innovation is the raising of big gardens by the ranchmen. They have at last decided that the homegrown vegetable is worth while. Many of them now milk a sufficient number of cows to provide themselves and ranch …
He has his own wild hay meadows to produce his winter's feed and is planning a big increase in his alfalfa acreage. During the blizzard in March, 1913, he lost 1,500 head of cattle. They drifted with the storm into Swan Lake, which was in the pasture. Orlando is his postoffice and Belle Avery postmaster. Samuel and Charles Avery each have large ranches. Charles' ranch contains …
On the valley and north and west table farms, the hog is the important animal. Many Garden county fanners have carried off honors from the Denver Stock show. Mr. John Mevich who settled on Blue Creek in 1886 has been particularly successful with hogs. For five straight years he took the grand prize for best carload of hogs, besides, many other prizes. He has a large pillow …
acres of school land at this point in addition to section 36, and they expected to be able to purchase the whole tract. They built their headquarters ranch near the east side of section 35, purchased section 36, and applied to purchase the balance of the tract. They soon found that the whole tract outside of section 36 was government land, so they filed on as much as possible …
Hugh Boggs of Lewellen had the contract for carrying the mail to Oshkosh, and employed Charley Ransom to drive part of the time. They used a span of vicious mules that were always hard to hitch up and always looking for a chance to run away. Hartmans carried the mail from Oshkosh to Hartman. Before securing the postoffice they had been obliged to go to Ramsey for their mail …
Will Rolfing, were sitting in the store, when a man came in, bought some tobacco and matches, then went out. In a short time two masked men with revolvers came back marching Kirk McCall ahead of them. One made the men hold up their hands while the other helped himself to all there was in the safe. They got $300 in checks, etc., belonging to the store, and $60.00 from the …
Rhiley went to work to build an automobile that one man could run. and he succeeded ( almost ) . He got one finished up and in running condition and succeeded in trading it off to Jim Duffin. He then got an agency for the Oakland and did a good business. He is now the Western Nebraska distributor for Buick automobiles, G. M. C. trucks and the Hudson Super-Six and is the …
Time, half mile, 30J/2 seconds ; one mile, one minute and 3y2 seconds; 25 miles, 28 minutes and 15 seconds. Mr. Rhiley's natural ability and many years of experience over the ordinary race car gave him some advantage over the ordinary race car driver. He enjoys the racing game, he designs and builds his own racing cars, and by great care in the construction and adjustments …
They had been running a hotel, in a way, in the rooms over the store, since Mr. Sudman had moved into his new residence in 1900. At this time, the Wehn Telephone Company established a telephone system from Bridgeport to Oshkosh, Lewellen and other points It was a great convenience, as well as a pleasure and is still appreciated. In 1920 the Wehn Company sold out to a company …
He is still there, March, 1920. One rural route was established in 1913 out east and north of Oshkosh ; on which the mail is carried daily. In 1906 Col. Wisner of Bayard became interested enough in Oshkosh to come here and start a newspaper called the Oshkosh Herald. It was published by various owners in a small building on the east side of Main street until the building over …
Valentine, who took charge in 1914. In 1905, LaSalle & Miles built and opened up a general store, half way between the hotel and Corner Store, and Dan Atchinson started the first drug store just north of them and called it the Oshkosh Drug Company. W. W. Bowers and Mr. "Dad" Potts bought this, carrying it on under the same name. It still goes by the same name, although it has …
Blair, twisted his buildings into splinters, picked him up out of the house and broke every bone in his body, and left him lying lifeless on the prairies about a half mile east of his home. HISTORY OF WESTERN NEBRASKA The splinters and pieces of furniture and books lay along the path of the storm for a distance of three miles. He had several valuable documents in his trunk. Of …
The Woodman hall was sold in 1905 to Newkirk and Burchard who put in a stock of hardware. Burchard soon sold to Newkirk who continued to run the business until the spring of 1911, when he sold to Robert Quelle and Albert Quelle. The next year Quelle Brothers put up the hardware store near the depot. Albert Quelle was the manager from the first until March, 1917, when he sold …
The rails were laid and the first train reached here August 8, 1908. That spelled grow to Oshkosh. The division of the county came the next year with Oshkosh for county seat. L. Aufdengarten & Son came from Ogalalla in 1909 and bought the old LaSalle & Miles store from W. W. Bowers, who had purchased it of LaSalle & Miles late in 1906. LaSalle & Miles only stayed about one …
Oshkosh has no museum but Miles J. Maryott has a collection of mounted birds, Indian relics, bones, coins, etc., that is worth traveling across the continent to see. Mr. Maryott is an artist and finds ready sale for his paintings. He paints animal and landscape pictures, but his wild bird pictures take up a large part of his time. His hobby is collecting prehistoric animal …
The fanners are beginning to take a prominent part in the business of the town. They have organized two corporations, one of which handles the only grain business of tin- town, and is called the Farmers Elevator Company. In 1916 this company was chartered and bought out the elevator which had been run tor several years by the Oshkosh Lumber Company. The other farmers' …
Oshkosh had reached the stage where electric lights were needed. On September 11, 1915, a plant was put into operation by A. D. Riddile. It has been enlarged and improved and in 1919 it was sold to the village. It is now run under village management, as well as a water system being started. Bonds for the water and lights were voted June 5, 1919. Some defect was discovered in …
They put up the new garage in the north part of town, and moved up there in October, 1917. W. L. Kimbel has charge of it now. as he bought Peterson's interest February 20, 1918. Robert J. Dalton is the proprietor of the Oshkosh Automobile Paint Shop. For awhile he tried to run his photograph gallery and paint shop too ; but for the past year he has had such a rushing business …
Sudman Company platted the original town of Oshkosh in 1905, the following additions have been platted : The A. Sudman Company Addition, Duffin's Addition, Maloy's Addition, Bott and Hart's Addition. There are about six hundred and forty acres of land within the corporate limits of Oshkosh. On March 1, 1920, the population was 725. Lewellen . In 1884, S. P. Delatour, the first …
The mail was brought up from Ogalalla ; in fact, all of the hauling was done from there as the Keith county bridge near Ogalalla gave a much better way than fording in crossing the North Platte river. About seven miles northeast of Lewellen, on the present site of Lutherville, a postoffice was started by Mr. Ramsey, about 1887, called Ramsey postoffice. The mail also came from …
The village of Lewellen began with that little store and postoffice. A bridge across the North Platte river at this point in 1891 had its effect on this village. A few settlers had gathered there, a small school started and in 1890 a frame building, which is still standing was built. This was used about fifteen years when it was decided that a larger building was needed. It …
years before another building was put up, so the school was held in the Hall during that time with L. H. Warner and Lyle Mewhirter teachers. At last in 1911 they were comfortably housed in a good building. In the meantime the Lutherville and Bergeson schools were discontinued. The Lewellen school was growing and in 1918 the 11th and 12th grades were added, making it a complete …
The company was composed of a man by the name of Hurst, his wife and children. It created quite a stir; the show was given in the school house. Everyone who heard of it was there if possible. After the railroad was surveyed through the valley, 1. C. McCoy laid out the village of Lewellen in July, 1906. The first addition was soon needed and was platted in ( >ctober, 1907. Two …
Gates Hardware Company is the successor of the Rohlfing and Berquist Company, who sold to them in 1916. The first church was the Methodist, which was built in 1889, although it had been organized before that. Services were held in the school house. In 1910 the Baptist church was built, Rev. Elkins being pastor at the time. A small organization was formed and has continued to …
The McCoy hotel was built in 1908. Thomas Eggers who settled in this valley in 1900, started in the mercantile business in 1917, but the next spring he built a new brick hotel which was furnished and opened for business in August, 1918. business in September, 1913. with a stock valued at $10,000, composed of everything in ready-to-wear and piece goods for ladies, misses, men …
Garden County Fair Association The citizens in and around Lewellen believed that an annual fair for the exhibition of products would be a benefit. It was decided to hold a Corn Show in the fall. On September 21, 1910, the Garden County Fair Association was organized with John Mevich, president ; C. G. Berquist, secretary, J. H. Wehn, treasurer. A board of directors consisted …
Marsh, Fred Johnson, Joe Brunt, I. H. Orr and M. S. Gates. The Woman's Club of Lewellen was organized in October, 1913, as an auxiliary to the Farmers Institute. Mrs. Cal McCormick was the first President and Mrs. Dick Clark Secretary. It was federated with the State Federation of Woman's Clubs in March, 1917, and has thirty members. It has its year book of programs and …
The telephone line was continued up to Lisco in 1909, branches to other points and the farmers line coming on soon after. The Lisco hotel and depot, besides two or HISTORY OF WESTERN NEBRASKA three residences were completed in 1909. This same year the Presbyterian church was built but not dedicated until the spring of 1910. This year saw the erection of a fine new brick …
A small stock of drugs carried by the Lisco Mercantile Company was sold in May, 1916, to J. A. Ray ; and in the fall he moved into the new brick building now occupied by the drug store, postofhce and printing office which Mr. Lisco completed in the fall of 1917. In the summer of this same year, Frank- Browning put up a building and opened up a hardware store. Wm. Mankin bought …
One of the best hotels in the county is at Lisco run by Mrs. Smithern who came there in 1918. Chas. Minshall bought out a man named Pelton in 1915, but sold to the Farmer's Cooperative Company in 1918. This company is putting up a new building which will give them more room, as well as an improvement to the town. There are a number of very good residences in Lisco, among them …
This line was built in 1907 and 1908, reaching Lewellen in 1907, and the first train arriving at Oshkosh on August 8, 1908. In September a huge celebration and barbecue was held at Oshkosh to show to the world the gladness of a new railroad town. People came from miles around Julesburg, ( Igalalla, Chappell, etc. All went well and everyone had a good time, even though the meat …
It was a common occurrence for the children to be obliged to go from five to eight miles to school. The first school building in the county was in what is now Joint district No. 2. known as the Wendt school on the south table west of Ash Hollow. It was built of sod in 1887, by M. F. Clary, Nicholas Opp, Bob Taylor, and Pete Ferry, on section 33, southwest corner. Eva Gilliard …
The school districts would sometimes get badly in debt, so the patrons would hire a teacher and pay the salary out of their pockets. Lewellen. for instance, had to do that in 1902. Mrs. Chris McCormick was the teacher hired. On the south table the old sod school buildings are of the past. They now havi g frame buildings well equipped for work, good salaries are paid for good …
They had expected to have a new building ready for the next year, but there was some trouble about the bonds, leaving the community without a school building for three vears. During this time school was held in the Hall, 1.. II. Warner and Lyle Mewhirter were two of the teachers who taught in the Hall. In 1911 a good frame building was completed. In 1918 the 11th and 12th …
That old sod house was used until 1896, when a new sod building was put up in the north edge of town near where the old stone building now stands. John Twiford taught in this building in 1903, and Laura Laycock taught one of the last terms of school in the old "Soddy." The stone building consisting of two rooms was erected in 1905. It was quite a pretentious building at that …
Oshkosh school soon had outgrown its quarters. The eleven grades needed more room so a commodious brick building was erected in 1914, giving ample space to accommodate the school for some years to come. But now, 1920, that building is filled to its full capacity, employing seven teachers for the pupils of the first eight grades. The teachers are: Nellie Coffin, Superintendent …
1918, they were obliged to fit up a room over the Lisco Mercantile Company store again. In 1919, two rooms over the store were needed as the tenth and eleventh grades were added to the course. The teachers in Lisco at this time were Cora Felker. Principal, Eva Snider, Assistant, Mrs. R. O. Stevenson and Miss Lela Mosser. Garden County High School June 26, 1915, a Garden county …
They did so well that they were allowed to go to the state tournament. They were not in the best of condition, two players were sick with hard colds, but they won the first game from Bassett and lost the second to Pawnee' City. The players were Frank Robinson, Clyde Sudman, Lee Henderson, Everett Dennis. Walter Stroud and Ralph Snell. The basket ball team in 1918-19 won their …
first field meet was held in the second week of May and was a grand success. It consisted of baseball, basket ball, tennis, novelty events, and all track events. Garden county high school won the meet with a lead of 96 points, with Lewellen second. The champion athletes were Ivan Hartman, Lewellen, first ; David Curtis, of Garden county high school, second; Rex Proper of …
Garden county schools have taken prizes on exhibits at the State Fair at Lincoln. In 1918 the rural schools of districts 40 and 56 won first prize on drawing and district 40 on penmanship. In 1919 Oshkosh won first in the four best drawing cards, district 56. district 19 sent a collection of work that took' first prize. A rural school took second prize on two drawings. Oshkosh …
Clary's house in time for the service. Mr. Ruckman was the pastor in charge. The first church in Lewellen was a Methodist church built in 1S99. Rev-. Coslet, Eggers, and Bollan preached in the school house before the church was built. Rev. Elmer Keller was the first pastor to preach in the new church. It naturally was a small organization at first. The churches of Lewellen and …
That year a nice church was built and dedicated, during Rev. Clark Powell's pastorate. They join with the church at ( >>hk<>4i in hiring a minister, who has resided in Oshkosh until 1920. Rev. R. A. Helms, the present pastor, lives in Lewellen. In 1911 a Baptist church was built. Rev. Elkins was pastor. The organization has steadily been growing. They have decided to build a …
A revival was held by Evangelist Flowers, thereby adding many more members. The church organization was perfected at this time with about sixty members. Among them were the Bowers, Twifords, Sherleys, Sterlings, McCords. Duttons, Henrys and Aufdengartens. Both the Lewellen and Oshkosh churches were growing stronger and able to stand alone. In the spring of 1916 each decided to …
Oshkosh joins with the Lewellen church in the support of a pastor. Rev. Heidenrich's wife's health was poor, so he decided to go to a lower altitude. He resigned May 22, 1910, after staying here four years. He was well liked, and the church regretted very much to have him leave. Since that time, they have had Rev. Collier who stayed a short time, Rev. Woods, Rev. Clark Powell …
They held meetings in the schoolhouse until 1915 when a church building was erected. Rev. Jensen of Lewellen came here to preach at times. Rev. Koch. Baker and Kuhler of the Oshkosh Methodist church have preached over there every other Sunday since 1916. A good Sunday School has been maintained. At Lisco the Presbyterians were the first denomination to get busy. Rev. Currens …
In 1915 the Catholics in and around Lisco determined to have a church home and that summer it was begun. Father Burns from Scottsbluff came for services. The following spring it was dedicated with the usual ceremonies. They have forty members. Out on what is called the west table about eight miles northeast of Lisco, we find a thriving Adventist church called the Lisco …
This was a weekly paper named the Oshkosh Herald. In the following year the Colonel sold out to Calkins and Loob. Calkins soon disappeared, but Loob continued to publish the Herald for a few months longer. Will Twiford acted as editor until tjre spring of 1908, when R. A. Day and Charles Tomppert bought the business and were soon publishing the Herald as an eight page paper …
Tomppert finding himself out-voted at every turn by the Bentz family, sold out to them for what he could get and gracefully retired from the Company. He at once planned to established a rival paper, and in August, 1912, bought out the Garden County News which Mr. Warner had been running for two or three years at Lewellen, bought a new press and linotype, and proceeded to make …
He is rapidly improving it, building up the circulation and making a real newspaper out of it. Mr. John B. Barton established the Lewellen Optimist on March 22, 1917. Each year, it is steadily increasing in quality and circulation and it is loyally supported especially in the eastern part of the county. The Bench and the Bar Garden county has no resident district judge. When …
Although not a member of the bar, Judge Gumaer is well read in the law, and ever preserves the honor and dignity of the bench. About the only time the magisterial calm was ever ruffled was on the occasion when a well dressed young man and woman with every appearance of candidates for matrimony presented themselves before him and smiling recited, "Will you divorce us from each …
Curtis, county attorney of Garden county, was born in Knoxville, Marion county, Iowa, on September 24, 1871. His paternal ancestors came from England in early colonial times and each new generation joined the western bound pioneers. In the early fifties when Mr. Curtis's father. Stephen Curtis, was a small boy, the Curtis family emigrated from Ohio to the Des Moines river …
By teaching school a portion of the year, and attending school and doing odd jobs the remainder of the time, he secured a first class teacher's certificate, and the degrees of Bachelor of Didactics, and Master of Didactics from the Highland Park College, Des Moines, Iowa. He then took the Principal Teachers' examinations in the United States Civil Service, and in 1895 received …
In the fall of 1912, he entered into partnership with Frank Dutton under the firm name of Curtis & Dutton, lawyers. This partnership was dissolved in December, 1914. In 1914, Mr. Curtis was elected county attorney, reelected in 1916, and again reelected in 1918 for a four year term. Mr. and Mrs. Curtis have three children : David, born in Beecher county, Minnesota, May 7, 1903 …
Geauga county, Ohio, and, in 1897, he with his parents and brothers moved to the town of Telluride, Colorado, where they engaged in the mining business for ten years. On January 31, 1907, he was united in marriage with Miss Clara Dutton and they at once moved to Lincoln, Nebraska. In September, 1907, Mr. Dutton enrolled as a student in the Law College of the State University …
When the railroad was surveyed and located, the new bank was unfortunately found to be in the middle of the right of way, so they sold the building to the railroad company, and moved into a small frame building on the east side of Main street. About this time Rob't A. Day succeeded P. W. Burke as cashier, which position Mr. Day held until January, 1919, when he was elected …
Since 1911, this bank has been owned by our citizens, the heaviest stockholders being Rob't A. Day, J. C. Schlater and A. Sudman, up to the time when Mr. Wood bought in and became president, in 1919. Lewellen's first bank, The Bank of Lewellen, HISTORY OF WESTERN NEBRASKA was organized in 1905, with a capital of $5,000, by J. W. Wehn, President, Chas. Burke, Vice- President …
The first officers were M. R. Scripter, Sr., President ; M. P. Clary, Vice President; G. L. Stout, Cashier; W. A. Hostetter, Assistant Cashier. Its growth was assured, and the capital increased to $30,000, with total assets of $315,000 and a slight change in officers : M. P. Clary, President and Chris McCormick, Vice President. Cashier and Assistant remain the same, with …
THE COUNTY'S PART IX THE WORLD WAR At the declaration of war, by the United States, the county responded to all calls with good spirit. A Council of Defense was appointed consisting of L. H. Stroud, Chas. Tomppert and Dr. Geo. H. Morris. It did its work loyally. The Advisory Board was A. W. Gumaer, F. A. Dutton, W. W. Aldridge and R. S. Laycock. The Government Appeal agent was …
The hanks had charge of the Bund 27. HISTORY OF WESTERN NEBRASKA drives, five in number, and the War Stamp Drives. All quotas were raised with a goodly surplus. The War Savings societies were in charge of Mr. F. A. Dutton. A great many societies were formed giving added interest to the Thrift Stamps habit among school children as well as older ones. All calls from the Y. M. C …
This was done August 28, 1917. Oshkosh and Lisco soon followed with organizations September, 1917. Each started with the regulation ten members, and a few others besides. The drives for membership brought good results. Before the Armistice was signed Lewellen had five hundred members, Oshkosh and Lisco had over nine hundred. Successful Red Cross sales were held in the three …
L. Stout, Treasurer. Those at Oshkosh were Mr. F. A. Dutton. Chairman; Mr. H. A. Mark, Vice; Mrs. Blanch Riddile, Secretary; Mrs. Hattie Sarver, Treasurer. The work of carrying on the sewing and knitting at the Red Cross room at Lisco was superintended by Mrs. R. Lisco and Mrs. Wm. Stevenson. There were a number of Junior Red Cross societies in the schools in the county. Many …
Cattron, Ralph McKonkey, and Armal Lane Allen died of pneumonia while in the service. Of those most severely wounded in action, were Daff Young, of Lewellen, and Duane Marshall, of Oshkosh. The former lost one arm and one leg in the Argonne drive, November 5, 1918, and the latter on July 17, 1919, was so severely wounded in the leg that amputation was necessary. The bones were …
Company "H," Sixth Nebraska Infantry was recruited on and after June 24, 1917, in two detachments, one at Chadron, Nebraska, and one at Lewellen, Nebraska, and vicinity. The following named Garden county volunteers constituted the Lewellen detachment: Mucho Balka, Russell Beerup, Jesse K. Bradley, Miles Branson. Louis Brown, Ray Brown. Gordon Cary, Ross W. Casey, William E …
Two weeks later, the company together with sixty-five enlisted men from Company "I," and forty men from Company "F," Sixth Nebraska Infantry, was transferred to the 109th Engineers and announced as Company "F," 109th Engineers. Day after day and month after month, the boys expected orders to go "over there." After a year of training, worrying and waiting at Camp Cody, the …
Harold' Wilson, Robert Holmes, Jack L. Anderson, Sam T. Bradley, Abraham Barbris, Wallace E. Elkins, Chance Goodro, Charles W. McConkey, Thomas Lewis, Thomas Richardson, Berrie Rahman, David Colyer, Jess Cunningham, James Shuler, Harry Horn, Walter Pitzlin, Robert Brown. Forrest Hunnell, Bud Bastin, John Schultz, Stephen Shaw, Walter Shaw, Herman Pickerel, Benjamin Shepard …
Hollister. Royal Ernest Hittle, Francis Merritt Halstead. Ray Hutchinson. Arthur C. Hedin, Lester Holler>, Cole Henderson, Bernard Albert Hassenstab, George W. Hammond, George A. Jackson, Paul H. Jones, Fred Christ Jensen, Fred H. Koberstein, Alfred Ernest Crouse, John R. Kiley, Carl William Kaschke, Glenwood Charles Long, Edward V. Liestritz, Herman W. Musolf, Harry L. Mason …
HISTORY OF WESTERN NEBRASKA SOCIAL AND FRATERNAL ORGANIZATION In all early settlements real fraternity exists without any named and officered organization. Where a few are gathered together a social good time resulted. At country jollifications some would ride on horse back, or in a farm wagon, a distance of thirty or forty miles in order to get some enjoyment, to mix with the …
The first fraternal organization in Garden county was the Modern Woodmen. It received its charter in September, 1897, having fourteen members. August Sudman was the first clerk. It didn't seem to grow much until 1900, when the membership was greatly increased. A hall was built in 1898, but sold in 1904. Its membership in 1920 has decreased. Only thirty-two members are …
In 1920 they have a membership of thirty-five beneficiary and twenty-three social members, with Maggie Kingery, Oracle; Zulah Gumaer, Vice Oracle ; Jessie Aufdengarten, Past Oracle ; Clara Dutton, Chaplain ; Sarah Taylor, Recorder ; Mildred Robinson, Receiver ; Mamie Stephenson, Marshal ; Myrtle Brostrom, Assistant Marshal ; Mary E. Potter, Inner Sentinel ; Belle Wood, Outer …
D. ; John Robinson, Tyler. The lodge has grown until now it has sixty members with G. E. Melvin, W. M. ; C. L. Tomppert. S. W. ; H. P. Madison, J. W. ; A. W. Gumaer (acting) Treasurer; D. F. Fickes, Secretary ; Fred A. Pickering, S. D. ; Chas. A. Harris. J. D. ; John Robinson, Tyler. This lodge has lost but two members by death; these were Henry G. Gumaer and Eugene Delatour …
Curtis, Secretary; Arthur Riddile, Treasurer; Alary Jones, Adah; Viola Day, Ruth; Kate Wynes, Esther ; Beulah Tomppert, Martha ; Irene Fickes, Electa ; Josie Clary, Organist ; Sarah Roudebush, Warder ; Floyd Jones, Sentinel ; Lou Clary, Chaplain. A banquet and a social good time was given at this meeting to celebrate the receiving of the charter. All has moved along nicely …
Kiley and Leroy Nigh, Managers ; Joe Williams, P. C. The lodge has grown smaller instead of larger having only nineteen members at present. The following are in office now: Roy E. Swanson, Consul; Leroy Nigh, Adviser Lieutenant ; Samuel Van Newkirk, Banker and Clerk ; Geo. W. Rose, Escort ; Dr. Geo. H. Morris, Physician ; Geo. Rose, Leroy Nigh, and Isadore Richstein, Managers …
Madison, Outer Sentinel ; Jeanette Wetherby, Manager ; Dr. G. H. Morris, Physician ; Eva E. Swanson, Captain. They have only beneficial members, and they now number twenty-three. One of their number, Silvia Kiley, died in March. 1917. Early in the fall of the same • year, they held a very impressive service at the unveiling of her monument, in Antelope Valley cemetery, all the …